Academy Member Inducted 2023
- Practice Commenced: 2015
- Total Mediations (as of Feb 2023): 400
- Total Arbitrations (as of Feb 2023): 15
After 25 years in private practice litigation and ADR at one of the largest law firms in the Pacific Northwest, Matt Turetsky started mediating in 2015 and became a full-time neutral in 2019. Mr. Turetsky has developed a reputation in the legal community as a trusted, respected, and honest deal broker. He works tirelessly on every case to arrive at the best possible outcomes and the closure all parties seek. His practice includes a broad range of commercial, real estate, employment, construction, insurance, and personal injury disputes.
With litigation, there is so much that can go wrong. It’s complex, costly, risky, emotionally draining and can ruin a business. It produces unpredictable results, and in many cases, both sides lose because the cost is greater than any award for the "winner." Because litigation can be a toxic experience for the parties, lawyers have an opportunity to be a part of the solution for removing that toxicity from their clients’ lives. Mr. Turetsky works with attorneys, business leaders, and individuals to provide a fresh point of view, identify options that have not yet been considered, and deliver candid and sometimes difficult to hear message. He is invested, engaged, and deeply committed to resolving litigation, not merely passing settlement offers back and forth.
- Class Actions
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate
- Shareholder Disputes
- Title Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Wrongful Death
- Pepperdine University School of Law Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution training, "Mediating the Litigated Case."
- Hastings College of the Law, University of California, Juris Doctor (1993)
- University of Washington, Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration (1987)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Washington State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Court
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- Washington Super Lawyers: Alternative Dispute Resolution (2019-2022); Business Litigation (2014-2019)
- American Arbitration Association Panel of Arbitrators (Commercial, Construction, Complex Litigation)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington CR 39.1 Program
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators
Rate for mediation is $540/hour. Preparation time averages about 2-3 hours/mediation, depending upon the complexity of the dispute. There is no minimum hourly charge, so when the dispute is resolved early, parties only pay for the hours actually incurred. Although Mr. Turetsky strives to settle every case on the day of mediation, it is common for him to stay involved and help resolve the dispute in the days or weeks after the mediation. He provides the first two hours of follow up free of charge.